PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Benson to go Army?
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2007, 16:55
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This has been around for a while and is now pretty much a 'when' and not an 'if', as Dishforth will likely close.
I wouldn't bet your mortgage on that one. The cunning plan is for an SH super base at Lyneham. However, having seen the sh1t state it's in and worked out how much would have to be spent to bring it up to a reasonable standard rumour has it that people are thinking twice. The JHC high paid help have 3 choices:

1. Persaude RAF to stump up the cash to bring Lyneham up to a reasonable standard - unlikely to happed as the RAF high paid help seem to want very little to do with SH.

2. Stump up cash themselves to get Lyneham up to standard - unlikely to happen as JHC appears to be run by a team of Scottish accountants called Gordon and Prudence that hate helicopters almost as much as they hate spending money.

3. Say bollocks to peoples' concerns and move anyway. Well that will do wonders for retention and until they've worked out how to convert a helo to a UAV and to put them onto a VW-esque long life servicing programme where you only change the oil every x-thousand hours, we can't afford to lose anymore people.

I think they would like to do it, but I suspect the practicalities may prove to be a problem. Oh erm hang on, since when have practicalities ever lead to a senior officer saying 'no'? I'll start packing now then.

Last edited by Melchett01; 25th Oct 2007 at 23:16.