PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lost Potential
Thread: Lost Potential
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2001, 21:56
moggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KarlH - you can't always trust to logic in these cases I'm afraid.

My brother applied for the RAF via Sixth form scholarship, passed the aptitude tests but lost out on sheer weight of numbers. However, OASC gave him a letter confirming a pass in all the aptitude tests which also said "you will not need to re-take these if you re-apply".

Two years later and back for direct entry selection they made him re-sit the same tests "still, no jeopardy" he thought. Somehow he managed to fail the Navigator aptitude (I don't know how - he spelt his name correctly and got the date right) and they said "end of selection, b*gger off". As you can imagine, he was straight in there with the letter - "no, that does not count any more" they said. "Why not?", he asked. "Because" was all the answer he got.

He rang me (VC10 pilot at Brize at the time) and I told he who to speak to and what to say. This got him all the way to the top man, the Air Commodore, who said - "stupid isn't it but we've changed the rules". End of story.

He went to college and while there applied to BA who took him through selection about 3 months after the RAF rejected him. BA chose not to put him through the aptitude tests because "you passed them all once and who cares about the Nav aptitude tests anyway".

The upshot is that they sponsored him, he got a licence and now flies 777 for them - he got the best end of the deal to be honest.

Another story confirms a school mate of mine who flew on the UAS and was discovered by the RAF to have "chronic asthma" some time later. he now has an unrestricted civilian licence and also flies long haul for BA.

I would suggest you re-apply to the RAF but also chase any airline sponsorship which may come up in the meantime. Although the RAF said they you may re-apply - in your case I would not trust the guys at OASC if they told me that turds were brown, smelly and pointed at the end (I would ask for independent verification!).

Good luck - but they are very funny about medical stuff and are just as likely to drag it out again as a reason for rejection.

[ 28 October 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]

[ 28 October 2001: Message edited by: moggie ]