PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Always pay attention to your fuel status
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2007, 06:36
blueloo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just with the fuel log thing- a mijig - the 734/8 is a bit different vs other boeings I believe - the fuel log at QF is based on fuel burnt per engine as opposed to fuel remaining in tanks and FMC.

So you hit the little toggle - it shows on either the electro-mechanical gauges ( or screens on the 800 ) fuel used per donk - you then add up and compare to flight plan. So from this point of view - the fuel log isnt going to help you spot whether the correct pumps are on.

The other boeings you compare FMC calculated FUEL totaliser and whatever the other FMC calcd value is and compare to fuel remaining on flight plan. Not sure whether this would help you pick up which tanks are feeding the donks or not either.

So pretty much a careful scan preflight, or climb cruise etc is probably the way it will be picked up.

I too have missed the pumps early, but offsider has picked them up, or picked up in checklist. When I have missed them it is because the Captain has reached across and pressurised the hydraulics - which the F/O usually does and it is also the prompt for the F/O to turn the appropriate fuel pumps on.

I think this was mentioned as a factor in the report.

Capt Basil - the 734 has crappy LCD gauges on Captains side which are poorly illuminated. I dont believe there is a low fuel warning as per the 800.