PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air low approach over central Bangkok last night?
Old 25th Oct 2007, 05:44
enkei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Whether or not it was or was not a 777 or was or was not Korean Air Lines, I think I have provided enough evidence that it was far lower than normal and almost certainly outside legal minima.

2. I do not work in aviation and I am not particularly fascinated by civilian jets. I was sitting on the street. When a large jet passes within a 1000 feet overhead and you are between two sides of a built up inner-city neighbourhood, you have maybe 1.5 seconds before it is out of visual range.

3. Rather than question my reliability (and that of 3 witnesses) might you not ask yourself that if it was so easy to identify the airline in central Bangkok in the middle of the night, perhaps it really WAS very low?

4. There is a big difference between recognising a vehicle type in which you have little interest and recognising a globally-recognised logo or the words, "Korean Air"

5. Given that I am roughly sure of the time of the event and 100% certain about identity of the airline, and based on available information about arrivals into Bangkok, the only option is Boeing 777.

6. I am certainly not an expert in my ability to visually identify an exact 1000 foot distance. However, I have lived in this area for many years, have been interested in aviation since I was ten years-old, have flown a considerable amount, have visited the sites and general areas of many major airports, etc. I have a good idea about what is and what is not normal for the altitude of any aircraft in that part of Bangkok. Furthermore, as I state, a pilot friend whose condo is perhaps 200m from the path of the aircraft also witnessed to what appeared to be very low pass.

Yes, it really was that low. That's why I'm seriously wondering why nobody is reporting it.

I am not seeking to fight or argue with anybody. I am only looking for answers. This is a global forum. Is it not natural that I would expect maybe to get more response from someone in a more narrow and regionally-relevant forum?

If you prefer, let's call this an alleged low-flying event, allegedly by Korea Air Lines and allegedly by a Boeing 777. I really don't care.

I just want to know what happened. Is this too much to desire?