PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Pilot Psychology at Work'
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2007, 19:17
virgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it's maybe drifting the thread slightly, but since the dreaded CRM has been raised, one point never seems to get aired..........

I can vividly remember twenty-odd years ago becoming involved with an obnoxious, rude, thoughtless, offensive, horrible captain who made everyone's life a misery.
Several attempts were made by the management to request/persuade/force him to change his attitude, all without success. His standard response was that he was paid to fly aeroplanes from A to B and there was nothing in his contract to say he had to be nice to people..............which, of course, was technically true.
The "Formalisation" of common sense, courtesy and communication (now called CRM) means that disagreeable people can be FORCED to change their attitude because it's now written into their Company Operations Manual and is a licencing requirement. If they don't conform, they can ultimately get fired in exactly they same way as if they fail their flying competence.

Them's that don't need it have no problems with it, those that vigourously object are usually the ones that are a bit scared of it.........it might turn them into nice people - at least while they're in the cockpit !

I love it !