PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doing the whirly thing commercially
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2007, 11:47
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not entirely true Bravs; we’re here aren’t we?

There are no schools which offer an integrated CPL(H) with CPL theory; they are all with ATPL(H) theory. There are two CPL(H) groundschools in the UK being Atlantic Flight Training and Dragon Helicopters. I’m with the former.

However, as I said, if I was to make the choice now, I would do ATPL with either Bristol who have a proven track record and I’ve not really heard a bad word said about them or with PACT which is a new business started by Phil Croucher (aka paco). I believe his course is more helicopter oriented and contains useful stuff! All other (H) courses are fixed wing based.

The cost difference between a CPL ground course and ATPL would be about £500 plus, of course, sitting the extra number of exams at £62 a pop. Bear in mind that CPL exams can only be taken at Gatwick; ATPLs have a few venues over the country. Depending on your location, you might want to consider the travel and hotel costs!

If you think there is any chance that you may work on the North Sea at any time, do the ATPL exams.

Cheers

Whirls