PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Concordes ?
Thread: RAF Concordes ?
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2007, 11:14
blandford50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never again..(will it fly)

I weep to myself whenever I think of Concord! Opportunities missed, by HMG and by me. They should have kept it on as a military tool, it wouldn't have cost them anything- in terms of development, they owned each one many times over, and it was very much a proven airframe. HMG would have been able to succeed where BA failed in persuading the makers to continue the support systems. The cause of the terrible accident at CDG was known, and had been fixed. In my own case, when it was doing 'last' flights I should have got my credit card out and flown on it, at least once; I've been kicking myself for not doing so, and will continue to regret it! I was abed with 'flu when it made its last visit to BHX, and I missed it. I remember its 'booms' in the sky when I was a teenager in South West Wales- an aircraft unseen but very much making its presence felt! But most of all, it was an aircraft that engendered pride in the British public, and the French, no doubt- because it WAS a joint-development. And it is symptomatic of the state of our once-great nation that we let it die so ignominiously.
B50.