PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Always pay attention to your fuel status
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2007, 10:36
galdian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only comment - due circumstances I now fly in an environment where the F/O's almost NEVER look at the overhead panels, ALWAYS concentrate on the two big shiny screens in front of them - the centre of their universe, in fairness the way they are trained to be. Sad, really.
In a previous life I was taught, and believe, to have a look around at everything every 15 minutes or so - can't hurt can it?
I am sure I probably do it more than I need to and the current F/O's are sitting there wondering... "why?"; well that's their f&*king problem as far as I'm concerned!

My point: as QF has a similar culture to my previous life how is it that, after 2.5+ hours of flight, apparently neither pilot has had a squiz, independently, maybe a few times, to see that everything "looks OK" and at some stage didn't twig that something "wasn't right?"

Standard procedures now so dominant that self preservation and pure common sense have to be considered negatives??

Cheers
PS: my current F/O's all wait for the "master caution" to come on before they have to turn them off (maybe fair enough); any thought of looking at those antiquated things from the past (fuel guages) and anticipating when it MAY happen (awareness??), no chance.
And comparing burn Vs fuel remaining - - interesting concept!!