PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calls for more military spending!!!!
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2001, 21:26
awayday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

>>Suit wrote>>I don't doubt the potential usefulness of FJ's, I just query the need for a force larger than it is going to be. Surely 7 Eurothingy squadrons at 16 a time plus a large OEU and OCU, along with 7 GR4 Sqn's, 3 Harrier Sqns with their attendant OCU/OEU's IS going to be sufficient to meet contingencies?

I Disagree. I am not aware of ANY Eurothingy squadrons that are CR at the moment. Also, of the squadrons that we have now, how many of them are; 100% manned, receive the logistics support necessary to have servicable jets on the line, have an acceptable level of dilution across the experience spectrum?

>>Suit wrote>>If we had dealt with Saddam properly last time then there would be no need for Northern and Southern air exclusion patrols. If he is targetted this time round and we take it as far as we should then those deployments will be history.

Agreed. However, without the need for these deployments, it would not necessitate downsizing our AD force based on theweak assumption that they would no longer be needed.

>>Suit wrote>>How can 5 F3 Squadrons plus OCU be inadequate (cue electric spaz jet jokes) for UK AD against NO threat, when for years during the Cold War, when there WAS a threat, the same number of Squadrons of short range Lightnings armed with 2 dubious infra red AAM WERE considered adequate?

When the OCU dilute the front line squadrons by taking crews from <100% manned squadrons. When the OCU no longer participate in the Falklands commitments. When there are 1/3 of a squadron strength always in the Falklands. When there is a squadron always in Op Resinate. When there is a squadron away on exercise getting some REQUIRED training for when the sh!t hits the fan, for real. When some crews actually get some time off with their families. Now, without doing the math, figure it out yourself clever clogs...!!!!!

Do you know the manning on any of the squadrons of the RAF, ME, RW and FJ? If I ever found out that I was under the control of people with your lack of commitment to the defence of our country and the people that we protect, I would feel ashamed to admit I was a member of HMFs.