PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calls for more military spending!!!!
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2001, 20:48
Overstretch

Question

Beags

I think it was in Flight recently that BA are V keen to get rid of their 767s...Fast. prices quoted were £20 - 40M per ac. Don't know if that is a good price or not but I guess the RAF can't afford them anyway. Still if the recession bites a bit more the price might come down!!!! Also saw that Gulf Air are looking at rationalization of their fleet and that they had 6 767s that they might be looking to sell. Looks like the market could be flooded with 767s soon. Perhaps the price will come down enough that even HM Treasury see the logic of buying them rather than PFI-ing them.

On the subject of the Defence budget the Sunday Times ran a very good article a couple of weekends ago that said for the UK to return to a level of Defence expenditure comparable to that of the US (in GDP terms Suit) Gordon Broooooon would have to inject £14 Billion into defence. Anyone see that happening? Anyway I thought the defence budget was up in the 3 - 5% area during the Cold War, not the measly 2 and a bit % of now!!