PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Korean Air low approach over central Bangkok last night?
Old 24th Oct 2007, 07:46
enkei

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Korean Air low approach over central Bangkok last night?

Does anybody know anything about a Korean Air at low altitude over central Bangkok last night?

Korean Air twin engine jet was seen/heard passing at what was almost definitely below 1000ft AGL. It was headed roughly in the direction of Don Muang and passed a few hundred metres East of Victory Monument.

When I say seen/heard, three of us saw it as it flew almost directly over our heads. A pilot friend of mine lives in a condo tower very close to where we were. He confirms hearing it and having wondered at the time why it was so low.

This was at 2300-2330 last night.

Flightstats shows only KE 653 37 minutes late for its scheduled 2345 arrival at BKK. Boeing 777-300 tallies with the twin engines I saw but I am not familiar enough with the type to confirm.

Surely at least one passenger on this flight must have wondered why they could look straight into condos in central Bangkok. The flight path must have taken it close enough to Baiyoke 2 for disco-goers to wonder why they were looking down at an airliner.

Does such a low attitude put aircraft underneath radar over Bangkok?

Last edited by enkei; 24th Oct 2007 at 12:16. Reason: Forgot this point earlier...