PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why FTDK?
Thread: Why FTDK?
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2007, 04:03
PilotHTR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Corrections ....

RIGHT THEN...........
As the co-owner of the ONLY original ERCO (Engineering and Research Company) Ercoupe registered in Australia (VH-ERC - a 1946 415-D model) I reckon I can correct a couple of misapprehensions --
1) Jabawocky - note the spelling. What's an AEROCOUP? some kind of political takeover in the sky
2) toolowtoofast / corowacomet - I have landed in 24 knots of DIRECT X-wind. The aircraft has no rudder pedals, they are aileron linked. Simply crab onto the runway and keep the nosewheel off until she straightens up. You fella's must be like the young instructors who I so enjoy taking out in a x-wind and watching their eyes on stalks as we come down short final yawed at 35 degrees to the centreline! Sure you need rudders on a taildragger, but whole design philosophy on the Ercoupe was to use the then-new tricyle undercarriage with it's forward C of G to allow this to occur.
Some other interesting facts:
1) Fred Weick, the designer of the Ercoupe also was lead designer on the original Bonanza (have a look at the cowl front end) and the original cherokee
2) The Ercoupe was the first tricyle, all metal GA monoplane and ERCO held the patent on tricycle undercarriage for many years.
VH-ERC won the concours d'elegance (Champions of Champions) at the 2005 Australian International Airshow (Avalon)..........
Here's a picture:.....

Last edited by PilotHTR; 24th Oct 2007 at 04:30.