PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What about a helicycle?
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2007, 04:00
160thfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one as well, but with a different turbine than the factory version. The factory actually goes through the turbine and checks the ballance of the wheel and other limits then attaches it to their own desing new gearbox. I installed the turbine before the factory switched from the Rotax to an all turbine fleet.

If you want one there is a long waiting line. It's about 1.5 to 2 years currently.

I also believe it flies better than an R22. It has some shortcomings but is still a great helicopter and is a total blast to fly. I think the A pillars are a shortcoming and the 3 or 4 seperate fuel tanks could be a shortcoming, but in normal operation they are not. Fuel burn limits it to 1 to 1.5 hours depending on fuel tank options.

Could be a mustering machine I suppose. My memeory of the Army test was that the "helicopter" itself was the problem not the Solar turbine. They have proven themselves in thousands & thousands of hours of service before this use. Ask a Chinook mechanic about them as their APU. You will get a good answer.