PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - arrow advice
Thread: arrow advice
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 21:19
wsmempson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I think the economic question amounts to a "swings and roundabouts" situation. Having run an Archer II for a while, I shall be interested to see how the Arrow III compares cost-wise. I bought the Arow with a sum allowed from the price to do some undercarriage work and to overhaul the engine, so we'll see how the outgoings stabilise.
I've flown a PA28 235 Dakota and thought it a venerable machine that drank fuel like oliver reed and needed to be flown on the trim wheel - because of the control loadings (presumeably because of the large donkey up front).
It's difficult to quantify exactly why, but the arrow just seems to fly more sweetly than my Archer; I flew this pm from Booker to Rennes and back and had quite the nicest day out so far this side of the summer.
Maybe for this job description, the TB20 should be considered, but I know a number of engineers who consider the work of Socata to be nothing but expensive trouble. I can't comment, as I haven't owned one - I simpy know that I don't seem to fit in the back, which isn't likely to be my particular problem too often!
As for PA28's falling apart mid-flight....maybe...if sufficiently abused/mis-handled/poorly maintained or aerobatted by pilots who don't subsequently own up. Otherwise, this doesn't sound too likely.