PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What should I do?
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2001, 23:08
Tonkenna

Pilot Officer PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hi Steve,

Well, if you are in the UAS and not yet a burser, you need to get your @rse into gear as the paperwork needs to be off your unit asap (end of Nov). If not you will not get a bursary for the next year.

You don't say how long you have been on the UAS. The options that are open to you are many and varied. You should be getting an idea has to how the flying is going from your instructors. If you get turned down for an aircrew bursary or for aircrew if you join DE then there is always ground branches.

First you have to consider whether you really want to join as ground crew after setting your heart on aircrew. Secondly, which branch. You mentioned the Int branch, but you must realise that there are very few taken on each year, and I don't think there are any bursars (don't take my word though).

As for civvie street, well, as you can imagine things are a little tough in that direction, but as I am no expert I will leave that to others to explain.

Life in the RAF is ofcourse different to the UAS. For a start you have to work for a living and this can be hard long hours. Flying training gets tougher, but that is what you spesialise in, not that and Uni work as at the moment. Things are only just starting once on a Sqn as there is much more to get on with. It is also not all flying, there are secondary duties and station duties and other things to keep you occupied. However, I love the life overall and would not (despite some bad times amongst the really good times) change a thing.

In the long run it is up to you.

Hope that helps,

Tonks

PS talk to your QFIs