PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Level Restrictions Question
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 13:05
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so lets be clear here, if a pilot is told to meet a requirement to cross "SMACK" at or above FL310 when climbing FL350, and is then transferred to another frequency which is before reaching "SMACK", and then on the new frequency the pilot requests further climb to FL370, and the controller approves further climb to FL370, that further climb clearance cancels the requirement to make FL310 X "SMACK". Well thats just great!

I was trained in Oz and I for one think ICAO should change to our way of doing things cos the OZ way seems a hell of a lot safer IMHO.

Working in an airspace here in the Gulf where everybody is from everywhere, I do find at least 90% of pilots will meet a previously stated requirement even when recleared to a lower/higher level. I guess they were all trained in Oz, or they just do it cos they want to go home that night.

I gotta say the AIP reads fine to me. Why does a requirement have to be a clearance or a reclearance. It is neither. A requirement is a restriction placed on an aircraft to be at a certain height/speed at a certain point in time or space. A clearance or reclearance is telling the aircraft how to get from A to B and how high or low they can go.

Maybe I am wrong but I still don't think what you guys are saying is right from a common sense or more importantly safety point of view.

Last edited by AirNoServicesAustralia; 23rd Oct 2007 at 13:15.