PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas CP unofficial comment on pilot shortage.
Old 23rd Oct 2007, 11:14
Low-Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QF Insider

The ball is most definitely in our court. If collectively we realise this then perhaps, just perhaps, respect will be forthcoming and remuneration that reflects our contribution will follow...
Just don't take your eye off that ball. It seems to me that no-one is taking the idea of imported labour seriously. That it "won't happen" is a very, very dangerous assumption to make. Look at '89. When suddenly there were "no pilots", foreign pilots came in droves from Europe and the US. Some stayed and some left.

LCCs like easyjet and Ryanair in Europe manage have a plentiful supply of pilots who continue to pay for their type rating despite the strong market conditions for the pilots. Their source? Eastern Europe when the EU expanded by another 10 countries in 2005. Maybe some of them want to move to Oz?

The Asian market is expanding at an incredible rate. Look at India and China. Mostly A320s and 737NG. All type and airline qualified. Maybe some of them want to move to Oz?

I doubt that, in his plea to the government, Manning really expects the government to contribute to pilot training. I think he's after easy access visas for pilots just the way there CURRENTLY is for hairdressers, mechanics and other "trade" jobs. He's just softening people up so that they'll accept that there is a pilot shortage.

Don't think that just because you WANT higher pay and better T&Cs that you'll get it. You need to fight and be persistant. The people who you will be going head-to-head with have been scr3wing people for a long time and they're god at it.

Watching the space,

LP