PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Pilot Psychology at Work'
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 14:46
Non-PC Plod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pilot psychology is part of the wide-ranging subject of CRM. Personally, I find it useful to study examples where people far more highly skilled and experienced than me have made mistakes, sometimes with tragic consequences. I hope to use the lessons learned to help me recognize the situations which might otherwise lead to me making similar errors.
Unfortunately, unlike some of the more professional contributors on this thread, I have my limitations, and it is possible that I will make mistakes, even with the application of common sense. Hopefuly, when I do, someone else on my crew will notice and put me right.
CRM is not just a simple question of dealing with difficult characters on the crew. Perhaps it is a failure of the quality of the CRM training itself that so many people who have been through it just don't get it.
How many people flying regularly out there can say that they have never made a mistake, never got lost, never got low on fuel, never pressed on into weather they regretted? If you have never made a mistake that you learnt from , then I bow humbly to your perfection. If, like me, you have made plenty, then surely you can also learn from other people's mistakes too?
Is this psychobabble or bullcrap? ...Well,if its bullcrap which keeps me alive, bring it on!