PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Piper Super Cub : Whats it like?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 07:56
plucka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have only flown the 150horse super cub. A couple of things to remember with the cub.

One of the reasons it is a great strip machine is that its best ANGLE of climb configuration is 45kts and FULL flap. The exact approach profile, so if you get a little low or change your mind, open the throttle and you are at best angle of climb.

Another thing to remember is if you are taking passengers, remove the rear stick. I know of two Piper Cub crashes where the uneducated passenger put something in the pocket located behind the pilots seat which prevented the pilot getting full foward stick, which is required in a go around situation.

Another thing to remember which probabley wont be an issue for many, is that in extreme turbulance I have known of a couple of pilots that have been knocked unconsious due to their head hitting the tube above. So shoulder straps tight and head down.

The last thing I would like to mention is that if you have done all you Cub flying in a Cub with drum brakes and the oppurtunity presents itself to fly one with disc brakes (a modification) be very very cautious as they work alot better than the original drums.

All that said dont let it put you off, if there was only one aircraft I could fly it would be the Supercub.