PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas CP unofficial comment on pilot shortage.
Old 22nd Oct 2007, 00:42
Capt Kremin

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
QF Demographics

When I joined QF all those aeons ago, one enterprising chap placed a computer generated list in my pigeon hole that showed me where I would be on the seniority list in future years.
At that time the retiring age was 55 with an extension possible to 58. Most guys would retire at 55 wth a few extending

Over the years, with the introduction of age 60 retirement, the -400 pay rates, then the Pref bidding system which made it financially advantageous to be super senior, then the retiring age going over 60, this little list of mine became a bit of a hollow joke... I was soon many numbers lower on the list that it predicted.

I lost that list for a while till I came upon it last week. I re-read it for nostalgia sake, then I noticed something interesting. My current seniority number is about three years out of where the list predicts I should be, which makes a lot of sense considering the original predicted where I would be if everyone retired three years earlier than they currently do.

What is more interesting is that this list, interpreted now for the three year discrepancy, points to 2008 on as the time that I finally start making up some ground. Up till now, the average retirement numbers per year have been 15 p.a. This list shows a doubling of that number for the next few years to 30 p.a.

With the changes in the super rules making going past 60, financially at least, a silly thing to do; it gives hope to those of us still way down there that real movement is about to occur. When you consider that one -400 captain retiring, generates nines promotional slots plus X number of new entries, you can see why the CP is worried.

Good news for all current QF pilots and those wanting to join.