PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 - forgetting to set take off flap?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2007, 23:50
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The subject of the original thread was to avoid attempting a takeoff, with proper flaps setting or configuration and not to discuss the merit of the old or new checlists, and airline individual procedures.
xxx
No matter how excellent your checklists, or updates, or SOPs are, I say again, for those who fail the ability to read that TRIM - FLAPS - SPOILERS verified (the 3 killers) upon line-up is the only guarantee that you will survive and not bend some metal at the other end of your runway.
xxx
I can take any and all threads here in this forum, and demonstrate that, if you fail to do as I recommend, may lead you to disaster. If you want your name to be in the accident statistics, continue to show "how superior" your check-lists and procedures are (or claim to be superior...)
xxx
I do not claim this to be my own invention, but I survived F-104s (without the help of challenge and responses, and the luxury of a F/O), instructing pilots for type rating in Learjets ("Fearjets") and pulling engines to idle at V1 and still survived. If I am alive today, and the 500 passengers and crew in 747, I owe it to the "3 killers", and not to the semantics of "before takeoff checklists" (old or new edition) properly completed.
xxx
In the "old days" - I am convinced that training was properly administered. This might make you laugh. but did you know that when I was 16 of age, learning to fly a Piper J-3C-65 Cub, my instructors forced me to say "gear down - landing checks" at the end of downwind, turning to base...? No matter how ridiculous it seems to you, (what gear...?), THAT was the proper training techniques then, which I continue to foster.
xxx
I am not a "Geek" lost in playing computer GPS and FMS games when I line-up on the runway, and I dont give a damned if "Suzy" has, or has not come to the flight deck, to tell me that the "cabin is ready"... If they spill their Martinis, "frankly, dear, I dont give a damn..." - Quote from "Gone with the wind" - regardless on how gusty that wind was...
xxx

Happy contrails