PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would YOU teach PPL nav?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2007, 20:06
Contacttower
Fly Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They didn’t stray too far from home but clearly very much enjoyed their flying. The one said to me I have always wanted to go to the West country - after all it is not too far away. So why don’t you said I - it’s a great trip. Ah well said the other there is that area of airspace to the west of Bournemouth - it looks very complicated and there doesn’t seem to be any easy way of transiting it - does there? It has always put us off.
A lot more should be taught on talking to ATC...the standard of VFR RT is often very poor and I think people's "fear" of ATC makes them naturally aviod CAS (which is stupid because the easiest way to aviod busting is to get a transit through). So slighty off the subject of GPS vs. DR I think more work in and around CAS should be done on the typical PPL course. It's not so much a problem with the syllabus but perhaps FTOs should teach it more.

There are no CTRs due West of Bournemouth....did the pilots mentioned know the difference between a MATZ, ATZ, AIAA, Danger Area etc? Perhaps not....