PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas CP unofficial comment on pilot shortage.
Old 21st Oct 2007, 19:43
Ron & Edna Johns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmmbop: I've got no idea what you mean by "seniority number movement". Lack of change of it? Your number, in particular? If you're half way up the list you're probably not seeing much change since it's guys below you doing the walking. Mate, this is just semantics anyway: the facts are, in my 15 years at the Rat, 2007 has seen the highest number of juniorish F/Os up and leave (via resignation or LWOP). A number of S/Os have bailed too - some even returning to the RAAF. Not enough to shut the joint down, but it is concerning management. DCP KI told a group of us at a recent meeting, mate! And don't kid yourself - it's a 50:50 whether those on LWOP will return. Add to this retirements at the top end (yes, many are sitting on the books, eating up LSL AL, etc, totally non-productive yet still holding a seniority number) and QF is suddenly scrabbling for replacements.... If you are sitting in a position where you can take advantage of all this, then just have patience.

Chimbu Chuckles: Yes, I actually took my business to somewhere other than Harvey Norman yesterday after reading that crap from poor old Gerry. What a tosser, and that's being polite. What a prime example of how too many wealthy people have nothing but contempt for labour in Australia. Gerry Harvey would rather see the average standard of living in Australia driven downwards so that he can make more profit. Fcuk everybody else, just as long as I'm ok, is Gerry's mantra. Gerry - you can't get/retain staff for your multiple horse studs because obviously you're a tight a$$. If I ever achieve just a single horse stud, I hope I'll continue to believe in fair day's pay for fair day's work. Then again, maybe all that time around horse sh!t affects the brain somehow....

The parallels between poor ol' Gerry's troubles and those of Aust airline management are uncanny. Whether we are talking about inviting cheap Indian labourers downunder to shovel Gerry's sh!t for $1 a day, or whether doing recruitment drives for Ukrainian pilots - it's the same story. It's been said before, but once again: reap what you sow.