PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas CP unofficial comment on pilot shortage.
Old 21st Oct 2007, 18:51
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it just me who finds Gerry Harvey's words disconcerting...distastefull even...and all to typical of modern management mentality?

Real wages have been going backwards for 35 odd yrs...but not backwards enough for Millionaire and Billionaire business owners/managers.

If you ever needed more proof that we indeed live in an economy not a society there it is...the concept that low unemployment is bad because it reduces competition for available jobs and drives up wages. That people actually getting payrises that, at least, keep abreast of real inflation is a bad thing. That poor Gerry can't make a few more billion before he shuffles off his mortal coil because he can't employ asian labour at 1/2 the rate of local labour.

I used to wonder why sucessive Australian Govts maintained immigration while unemployment rates were 5, 6 or more % while simultaneously bleating to the electorate how reducing unemployment was their 'top' priority.

The reality is that their (Govt and business) idea of nirvana is levels of unemployment at high enough levels so that employers can continue to say "If you don't like it leave...there are 20 more who want your job".

You'd almost have to assume the big reason for Govt lack of interest in the aviation industry over the years was because they already figured it was near perfect...10 applicants for every job.

"I've got horse studs and it's difficult to get staff.
You'd have to assume the feckwit understands the law of supply and demand...as do they all...they just REALLY cannot stand the thought of it not working in their favour but someone elses...it actually upsets him enough to go to the media and have a whinge...what amazing contempt.