PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would YOU teach PPL nav?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2007, 15:31
walkabout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Droopystop, I think the quarter mill chart is a better chart for PPL training, but I only came across it when I converted from fixed wing to rotary. The detail means its much easier to determine your position esp in areas where on the half mill you just have a few yellow dots and there are enough features to help you determine where the controlled airspace is on the ground. At 100kts and the sort of navex involved in PPL training, the scale doesnt cause any cockpit managment problems.

Now I've been trained in both fw and rotary, I think there are other rotary nav practices - use of back stops and track crawling - which would help with people learning nav in fixed wing.

Having sat the ATPL exams and witnessed first hand how the CAA is educating future commercial pilots on GPS, I would not hold my breath waiting for GPS navigation to enter the PPL syllabus. But isn't it a bit of a red herring........post PPL I bought a hand held, read the manual and used it, then I rented planes with GPS and asked an instructor to demo it to me. Just how hard is it to do this?

W

(Before I get abused for being a neanderthal, post PPL(A) I went IMC, MEP, twin group share, Euro touring with GPSs and auto pilot and will leave my quarter mill at home next time I fly to the south of France).