PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NCO pilots in the RAF?
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2001, 10:38
twistgrip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a comparative newcomer to pprune I’ve missed the previous threads on this subject.

My experience is in the rotary world but the basic issues cover all types.

There is absolutely no difference between commissioned and non-commissioned aircrew regarding ability to fly. There are excellent pilots and there are average pilots and occasionally some w@nkers.

As an ex SNCO QHI in the military I trained both types – normally side by side. Ie 2 students, one commissioned and the other non-commissioned. Pure flying ability was about equal. As the training was geared towards tactical flying (the basic stuff having been covered by civilian instructors) there was obviously a requirement for decision making/leadership skills/airmanship (now called CRM) and plain common sense. Whether there was a pip or a stripe in the other seat, these processes too, were about equal.

The difference of course was that commissioned aircrew normally went on to command a flight or a squadron. The additional skills involved in that process call for man management, administrative competence (staff work) and powers of command – not normally skills associated with flying an aircraft.

The military system obviously limits pilot NCO’s in the full employment of these additional skills – but the majority do have them. Likewise the majority (but my no means all) of commissioned personnel have them and by virtue of their training and experience apply them more naturally.

I now run a fairly large flying operation for one of the major players in the civilian world. There are number of ex military personnel (both NCO’s and commissioned) from all the services involved in this and other operations. When those additional skills mentioned above are required for whatever reason – Chief Pilot, Commercial decision, Client liaison, organising search and rescue etc – there is little difference between ex commissioned personnel or non-commissioned. What is apparent is the difference between the non-military and ex military – but that’s another story.

Perhaps the answer lies in the fact that military pilots, of whatever description, possess at least some of the qualities mentioned above or they wouldn’t be flying in the first place.