PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ajv contract in tokyo
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2007, 13:47
Lear70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, Meguro, I hear it's a very learning-intensive course and I know I'll have my work cut out for me. I appreciate your view on the instructors; nice to know that they aren't trying to fail anyone, but simply demanding very high standards, although it's distressing to hear of the recent failures.

Was there a specific reason that so many failed?

OldHasBeen, I wasn't implying that I would not care if I didn't get along with others than I know, I was simply stating that, as a matter of logic, if I get along with several people already there, it goes to follow that I just *might* get along just fine with others as well...?

I'm sorry you took my earlier comments out of context, but I feel pretty strongly about a certain level of professionalism required for this job and, if it's not present, in either student or instructor, then that person doesn't need to be there and I'm too old to put up with physical assault as a training method.

As for why I wouldn't be an F/O... why should I if they're going to hire DECA's *ANYWAY*...?

The demand for Captains with the delivery schedule these carriers have for the next decade simply cannot be met by internal pilots alone, so SOMEONE is going to have to staff them. Why then, should a pilot, who is qualified for a DECA slot, take an F/O slot when the next pilot in the interview is going to take one of the CA slots anyway and the company will continue to interview and hire DECA's?

I have been a DECA at 2 other companies, both of which are in the U.S. and are STILL looking for DECA 5 - 7 years later. There are DECA slots available at half a dozen carriers in Asia alone. What makes AJX/AJV unique is its lack of requirement for the applicant to be typed for DECA slots and its renumeration package which, arguably, could be higher, but for gaining initial heavy time, it's still better than pay in the U.S., and is a nice base for the beginnings of an international career.

DECA opportunities are here to stay in this industry, and one would be a fool not to take one simply because it might "rub another pilot the wrong way". No personal injury to other pilots is intended, just a course of life.

Regards,