PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would YOU teach PPL nav?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2007, 07:07
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I taught my 11 year old to use Navbox in about 5 minutes.
This has reminded me of a point I've been meaning to make for....several pages.

You can learn to use Navbox in 5 minutes - if you know it exists and what it is.
GPS doesn't take long to learn to use. You can stick with the moving map and "Go To" function until you need something else; then you simply look up what else you need.
Ditto, AFAIK, for most other modern technology related to PPL type flying.

Therefore, do we need to change the syllabus, so far as flying content goes, at all? We simply teach using DR, map and compass, navaids as usual. Then we have a bit of extra briefing, which doesn't add extra time or cost, explaining all the other ways of navigating - what they are, what they do, where to buy them, the advantages and disadvantages. Students don't exactly need an instructor sitting next to them in order to learn to follow a line on a GPS!

PPLs then have a choice...and as you might have gathered CHOICE is a word I like. They can fly old aircraft with minimal instrumentation, and navigate the old way. Or they can use modern technology. Or they can do both...belt and braces and all that.

I try to do this anyway, and I think most CAREER instructors do - I don't know about some of the hour builders. It seems to make most sense.

In which case, do we even have a problem?

BTW, IO540, starting a thread on PPRuNe doesn't mean that one is barred from commenting on it eight pages on.