PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would YOU teach PPL nav?
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2007, 07:05
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
IO540, you may well be 'considerably richer than yow', but your continual bleating about basic navigation techniques and how your gucci little aeroplane is filled with whizzy GPS systems is wearing a little thin...

Of course new technology has its place. But many flying clubs are hanging on by a thin financial thread. Even the ludicrous FM-immunity nonsense strained the finances of many - do you really imagine that insisting that all your electric toys be fitted to every trainign aeroplane is in any way reasonable?

All driving school cars do NOT have 'COMAND' navigation systems fitted; likewise every C152 will never be required to have GPS.

I've provided Internet met and AIS information sysems at the Club where I teach - but few students want to sit in front of the PC to plan. Instead they just use the printed information and sit down with a UK 1/2 mill. It takes no time at all to measure track/distance and apply the wind - a ruler is quicker than mousing in waypoints or typing them for a basic triangular navex. But not UK-Crete, of course! I think that using an electronic nav computer is fine - but I find the whizz wheel a bit quicker than pressing buttons for a 3-leg trip. Chaq'un a son gout though. The distance/speed readout on the back is an excellent example of how an analogue computer still has some advantages over digital methods.

You are very welcome to having fun playing airliners, but pilots must learn basic navigation - using some recent tools to assist that process will help, but not replace, the basics.

All our aeroplanes have Garmin panel GPS - but few pilots are bothered to use them. That I find astonishing - used correctly the GPS is a superb tool and often a lot more accurate for basic day VFR navigation flying than clunky old VOR/VOR or VOR/DME at low levels on the boundaries of their DOC....