PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - hours building
Thread: hours building
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2007, 22:06
FougaMagister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did hour building in Florida (50-60 hrs) right after PPL, then a year later in France (30 hrs) to round up P1 hrs before CPL, then in SA during CPL. Also flew in Canada (last year) on a flying holiday.

I'd say flying IS cheaper on the other side of the pond (a Warrior for my sole use for a week priced at 50 quid/hr wet in Canada), SA was dead cheap (a Warrior III for 50 quid/hr wet, but the Rand has appreciated considerably against Sterling since then). There are hardly any landing or approach fees in the US, Canada or SA, but as has been mentioned, one must factor in the cost of the trip and accommodation etc. for the duration.

So for a limited amount like 30 hrs, I'd rather recommend to look closer, to France (where local aeroclubs are non-for-profit associations who are not subject to VAT therefore don't charge it, and where landing fees are not too common and not applicable at the base airfield. End result: flying is 25% cheaper).

Then again, you can go to a UK club and tell them: "I need to build up 30 hrs in 10 days on your Cessna/Cherokee/Robin etc. What discount are you willing to do?" If they don't play ball, walk away. I bet they'll catch you before you leave the airfield!