PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas CP unofficial comment on pilot shortage.
Old 20th Oct 2007, 21:05
Ron & Edna Johns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ScottyDoo,

Guys are coming to QF but leaving on unprecedented numbers. Direct from the DCP to me: QF management is concerned. The biggest worry is the late-20's/early-30's F/O demographic. The reasons are various for the resignations. Not just money, but promotion and other T&C's. 10 years to command in QF vs 5 in EK, for example. Equitable rostering in a company such as CX as opposed to non-equitable rosters (due to seniority) in QF. Etc etc. One departee said to me: "I can achieve in 10 years in EK what would take 20 years in QF". Sure, different lifestyle, but unlike a decade ago guys are actually doing something about it because the opportunities are tangible and rewarding. Blimey, we just lost a -400 F/O to the desert - he would have been a year or so off a QF command! What does that tell you? His reasons include aversion to being stuck at the bottom of a 767 Capt seniority list, flogging up and down the east coast, when in 3 years he could be commanding 777's around the world.

Now that reality, combined with a drying up of supply, is getting the attention of Mr Mannering et al.

Believe it.