PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First the Vulcan, but what next?
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2007, 19:35
GeeRam

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim McLelland
My real gripe though, is that the CAA seem to have a problem with the Shackleton which could have been back in the skies over here by now. It's hard to know what ludicrous excuses even the CAA can find to prohibit a relatively simple four-engined piston from operating here, especially when aircraft like the Connie and DC6 seem to be regarded as acceptable. Surely, a contra-prop doesn't suddenly render a piston type as being complex, otherwise even the poor Gannet (okay it's not a piston) would remain grounded (which it seems to be managing to do even without the CAA's help).
My vote would be for supporting Avro's second-greatest aircraft, and persuading the miserable, blinkered CAA mandarins to get real, and respect Air Atlantique's abilities, and let the Shack come home.
I as understand it, the reason the CAA are saying no to the Shack is purely because BAe have said the spar's are time ex'd, and if it's resparred then it would likely get a permit
I believe since AA have done the work on the BBMF Lanc they have would have BAe approval to do the work (if there's enough material left over after PA474's respar a few years back). It's been reported that the CAA have agreed to a one flight only ferry of the Shack back into the UK from the USA, and it's just a matter of logistics vs. cost and all that other financial stuff as to whether it happens or not.......
Originally Posted by brain fade
If I win the lottery, which is unlikely..........................as I don't buy the tickets.
I'll put an F-105 up.
Now there's a thankless task.
Thankless because the US Govt/DoD won't let it happen regardless how much you may win......
The Collings Foundation have recently tried to do exactly this and instantly an order went out to butcher the likely restorable F-105's so they would never fly again.....
Originally Posted by Mark Nine
Surely with more carpenters in this country than sheet-metal workers, a mossie wouldn't be that expensive to put back in the air when compared to a metal airframe.
Sadly that's not the case. And in terms of the UK CAA and BAe DA consent, a new build isn't the same as the glue laminates etc are different today.
Glyn Powell in NZ has spent several decades building the moulds and now is building new build Mossie fuselages for several restoration projects.
For an indication of what involved in a Mossie rebuild, see here for the rebuild of Jerry Yegans FB.26 using Glyn Powell's new builds.
http://www.warbirdrestoration.co.nz/current.html#ka114
But you would have a real problem getting one of these past the CAA/BAe.