PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B777 vs A330/340 flying preferences
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2007, 13:11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown B737, B747,A310,A300,A330 and A340's (not B777 unfortunately) my feelings are the following:

Boeing: Are beautifully simple and easy to operate machines. Technical systems are simple and easy to understand and deal with in most abnormal cases. They are also easier to handle in stong, gusty crosswind conditions due to the stick. I think the only thing Boeing could do better is go for the sidestick though as it is not that frequently that uncomfortable wind conditions are experienced anyway.

Airbus: Systems are a lot more complicated and difficult to understand at times especially when unusual situations occur, and Airbus logic with autoflight etc does not always make things any easier. The FBY with side stick is great but awkward in strong, gusty wind conditions, but then that is by far outweighed by the freedom of cockpit space without the columns.

I initially really hated the airbus after flying Boeings for most of my career, but then that probably had something to do with the A310/A300 being my first bus which was never known to be exactly user friendly. The later airbus models have been improved vastly over the old A310 series.

When asked which types I prefer it is a really difficult question for which I more often that not don't really have an appropriate answer as they have all been unique and special in their own ways. It's almost a bit like being asked to say which is your favourite child!