PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the Navy
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2001, 10:32
Bri Uggin-Out

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Sagey,

Fixed wing selection is indeed still done at JEFTS. Everyone does their 60 hr training on the basis that everyone is going rotary and then only towards the end of the course are things more finely assesed. It is indeed a small number that make it through. In the year I went through I think there were only in the region of 6-8 selected. If you think they put through about 60 people a year, its not a great deal. Then you pop off and join the RAF for the next two years and follow their fast jet system, although rumour has been rife that Canada is being viewed as a serious addition to the Navy's fast jet training capability in view of pilot numbers being required for JSF introduction.

What's interesting is how people, throughout the course, change their focus. Initially most people would love to give jets a crack, but after a while motivation drops off considerably and a lot just want to go to choppers. But, not for me to judge why.

Tim C....
sorry about the eyesight situation. With the warfare stuff. You will get plenty of time at Dartmouth to experience each sector thru motivation briefs etc. There is a lot to do before you get the choice....some say that you don't, especially when there is a requirement for sub drivers. Be very prepared for fishead banter, cos aircrew will give you a lot of grief!!!!

Good luck to both of you.