PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the Navy
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2001, 07:28
Frank Spenny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Sagey...
have been reading the thread, and jut wanted to say that I went down to Cranwell for selection in about '94, and after the board, having strongly made my case for pilot, I waited. About nine months (defence reviews apparently) later I was offered Nav. Unsure about all this I asked for an interview with the Wing Commander about what to do. In no uncertain terms I was told that I should take the bursary through university I was offered, as it was a 'foot in the door' and a branch change was easy. I probably should have taped the conversation, as in the four years I was attempting a branch NOTHING happenned.
Sure, give them what they want to hear, but remember what it is that YOU want, and until they hand you the bit of paper saying yes, then don't sign.
I'm probably sounding bitter here, I don't mean to, I left because I couldn't get the pilot slot I wanted, and was chopped because I couldn't be arsed doing a job I had been tricked into doing. All a free-will thing and I thouroughly enjoyed my time in the forces, made load of great mates anddon't regret it at all.
I would give at least a digit or two for a crack at pilot, but if reintatement as nav was offered I wouldnt take it.
Cue rants from loads of navs who love their jobs...
Good on ya, I couldn't cope with having to put my CDs in alphabetical order (Joke).
All I'm trying to say is that if you want something really badly only take that, and don't be pressured into what they want - If you are offered observer (and you didn't arse up your tests,) they're probably hoping that if offered, you'll accept the banter seat. Give it all, and remember, they need you more than you need them.

Best of luck..

Edited because my S key is knackered. Was going to write $tuck but I can't $pell it.

If I've mis5ed a few, here are a few to 5catter around!
SSss5$$

[ 12 October 2001: Message edited by: Frank Spenny ]