PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in the Navy
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2001, 00:08
STAN DEASY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they offer Observer, politely decline because if you have passed the aptitudes and get chopped you can always retread Observer. sadly the reverse is not true.

Flying the Lynx is probably the best all round job I had, OK the fish-heads are nobbers but then we get to escape the nausea quite often and they dont relly know how to cope with 'eccentric' aviators. Bringing the mail gets you beers in every mess and there is no senior pilot to steal the jollies.

OK, low level at night getting back to the steamer on a shi**y night is not much fun (NVG's do not help that much).

My advice, for what it's worth, is to go Sea Kings first tour and then Lynx second as you will have the experience to hold your own at Sea and have had the benefit of big squadron life in which to make all the early mistakes; learn how to destroy a wardroom with style and absorb the culture which makes our song book very apt. The book HMS Leviathan neatly encapsulates carrier life.

Once you have the 2 types under your belt then you can choose to go beefing.

Dont let the Junglie/Pinger bit get in the way, franky there is not a Rizzlas thickness between the two. Recently, being a Pinger has been the more sought after as the predictability of Ship deployments whilst not certain, is far far more reliable than last minute deployments to the Adriatic or other 'hot' spots.

Whatever you choose you will be sure to have a varied and interesting career with some terriffic people who still adhere to the work hard , play hard ethos. For me the Fleet Air Arm was the best Rugby club I was alowed to join.

Equally, you will end up being a far more rounded and personable character so that should you desire a career change in later life will find that you are surprisingly well equipped for life outside the pusser. My experience is that not all the services can boast that.

I shall now don a flak jacket and retire!