PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas CP unofficial comment on pilot shortage.
Old 20th Oct 2007, 06:51
Nulli Secundus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WynSock

I'm not sure about how your company operates or handles its growth - granted some may get it wrong or misjudge future trends - however those with structured management teams which utilise sophisticated planning tools & processes forsee these outcomes. They know what to expect and how to accomodate the impact so that they achieve a lower cost base, better productivity or whatever the aim is.

When Chris Manning makes the statement "the industry needed to put pressure on airlines and governments to find a solution." its a furphy. He already knows the solution i.e pay pilots more and ensure more pilots are trained. He's simply playing his small part in the bigger company process. And rest assured any public statement made by someone at his level would be not be 'off the cuff'.

Can you see the process unfolding?

Assuming the quote has been accurately reported, he's actually lobbying others (the industry) to put pressure on the government & his own employer (the airlines) to solve the problem. Think about it.

Its not an industry problem! Its an airline problem!

Why would Chris Manning make that statement? Because he knows and more importantly his employer knows, the average reader can be led to believe the crewing shortage is something they have had little control over. By building a case as a victim of circumstance beyond their control, they can leverage public & shareholder support (due lack of flights, reduced or no regional services and declining shareholder value) to ensure their business plan achieves its objectives i.e aircraft crewed on wages matching their wages policy with productivity levels also matching future plans.