PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is It Time To Make This Forum A Closed One??
Old 17th Feb 2002, 20:18
solotk

Talking

Please don't close it down

When I was 18, I made the worst decision of my life at OASC, when the board informed me, that as a result of my medical, I couldn't fly FJ's (First and only choice). They gave me time to think about it, I threw all my toys out of my pram, and didn't join the mighty blue. I've regretted it ever since.

It's good to keep up with what's going on, and to read comments from people, that I may well have ended up serving with. Also, as others have pointed out, there are a fair selection of wannabees interested in a GD (Air) career, and the comments and information here, do give them a better insight into life at the sharp end.On that point, it pains me to see people biting so readily on Admin G's posts. He did it, to get a rise out of aircrew,and to try and highlight the them and us attitude and it worked.Word of advice AG, try that with an Army audience, you will lose teeth, I guarantee it.

As regards "Pride" I think the TV ADS thread, was a good example of how Military and Non-Military people felt.

My own thread "Bring him home" regarding the Spitfire and Pilot in a lake in Austria, got more reaction on this board, then anywhere else I posted it, including the "Vintage forum" where it appeared, people would rather talk about the glorious days of the "Imperial Airpower Club" then recovering the body of a PFJ that made the sacrifice.

Yes, I am a wingless brown job mate. I have a PPL, and a few hours, and in my past , some fast jet time,with a foreign air force I was buying FJ's from, for american customers, so at least, I have had a taste of what I missed.

I have flown with the USAF and RAF Albert fleets, indulged out of Brize, been picked up from some hillside in dead of night by Navy and RAF helicopter crews, and admired their work, and was always left with the thought...."British Forces, nothing finer"

Sorry for the rambling, not had my coffee yet.......

Tony