PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ailerons Stalling?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2007, 14:01
Nathan Parker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blista1989
I presume when you use AOA here you don't mean pitch of the wing but presumably direction of the airflow?
I don't know what pitch of the wing means. The textbook definition of AOA is the angle between the chordline of the airfoil and the relative wind. The chordline is defined to be the line between the leading edge and the trailing edge of the unaugmented airfoil. That's why flaps won't affect the AOA. (The only time a different definition is used is in stability and control calculations; they use the angle between the zero lift line and the relative wind.)

When the wing rolls upwards the effective direction of airflow is now coming from more above the wing so the result is an apparent lower AOA?
Exactly.

How can a stalled wing produce more lift than an unstalled one or have I mis-read what you were saying?
His point is that the definition of a stall is when the Clmax has been exceeded. It doesn't mean that all lift goes away. A flapped wing has a higher Clmax than an unflapped wing, so just because the flapped wing's clmax has been exceeded doesn't in any way imply that the quantity of lift is less than an unflapped wing.