PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2007, 13:57
flipflopman RB199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She only has 3 (I think) cabin pressurisation cycles left in her if that's what you mean? Something to do with the main canopy seals and they cannot be replaced. So no flying above - what? - FL010? But that won't matter much on VFR anyway.

The service life is supposed to be 10 - 15 years, and then to Duxford Old Folks Home.
Although 558 does have a finite number of pressure cycles remaining, the figure is far higher than 3. The issue with the pressurisation cycles is the actual structure of the canopy rail itself, not the seal. Unfortunately, this is an item that is cannot be replaced without enormous modification.

Now on to the good news! XH558 will not be pressurised. The system has been disabled, as due to the height restrictions the CAA have imposed upon her of FL150 there is no need for pressurisation. This removes the need to worry about pressurisation cycles!!

On a personal front, it was absolutely amazing yesterday to see XH558 returning to the air, and made me feel enormously proud to have played my own small part in it all. It was almost like watching a baby take its first steps, and at times felt very surreal!!! However, the magnitude of it all is only just sinking in today!! Probably something to do with the copious amounts of "Celebratory Alcohol" that was consumed last night!!

Flipflopman