PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - cockpit checks completed
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2007, 12:19
tescoapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MM but what checks?

the confusion arrives because on civi types there are usually 2 triggers for checks. 1) the change to QFE/QNH triggers approach checks
2) some selection of flap after gear is down is the landing.

So usually we are between checks.

The other question which gets asked which takes a bit of getting used to is "are you familular" if you say yes they leave you alone if you say no you get 2 mins of what underware the satco as on today, the runway length, if the burger van at the end of the runway is working etc all said at break neck speed. If you have the plates infront of you just say yes.

What can we expect from the van and what actions are we expected to perform if it fires a red burger at you?

There are quite a few "what the hell are they are on about" differences while working with MIL controllers for civi's. The RT phraseology is just a small part. The whole mind set is very slightly different which takes a bit of getting used to. They have different limits to the civi controllers which can be a bit concerning when a 3 ship typhoon goes over you 500ft above.

In fact if they could be bothered producing a safety sense booklet on the differences it would make life alot easier for all concerned.
(If you do please have where the aircraft is on initials)

BTW nothing in this post is meant to be slagging the mil controllers off. Its just different, sometimes you feel over controlled sometimes under controlled.
And all the time you have to remind yourself that your SA is actually quite low due to the UHF/VHF split so you don't have the same picture as you would at a civi field.

I wouldn't say I am an expert operating into mil fields as a civi but I can manage to not be asked any extra questions on the check in with approach and talkdown which was learned by trial and error and multiple RT calls.