PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ailerons Stalling?
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2007, 10:41
blista1989

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nathan: Thankyou very much for that in-depth explination. Just one point to clarify if you could:
"However, during the roll, the AOA on the rising wing is reduced due to the roll rate"
Why is this true? My guess is:
I presume when you use AOA here you don't mean pitch of the wing but presumably direction of the airflow? When the wing rolls upwards the effective direction of airflow is now coming from more above the wing so the result is an apparent lower AOA?
Do you have a "dictionary definition" of AOA so I can be sure I'm not mixing up terms.

Kit d'Rection KG:
My presentation is most definately not at this level. Unfortunately it was quite late when I was writing my presentation and my mind started to wander a bit which results in ridiculous questions like this

The presentation I'm doing is for 10minutes on how control has developed in the past 100 years from the Wright Flyer using bodyweight to twist the wings, through to FBW and actuators. As you can see it is much more on how mechanical linkages have changed above anything else.

Bookworm:
"The wing with flap deflected is stalled -- indeed the stall (Clmax) AoA has reduced -- but it still produces more lift than the unflapped wing"

How can a stalled wing produce more lift than an unstalled one or have I mis-read what you were saying?
By extending flaps is it just increasing the effective AOA (see above) of the wing hence why more lift is generated, but there is a lower stall angle, or is there something else going on here?

Thankyou to all that have replied
Regards
Alistair Strong