PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Services Unicom Operators
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2007, 07:28
MrApproach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JTC - You didn't touch a nerve with me I just wanted to set the record straight about just what OPS Control was and then make my point about the aviation straight-jacket.

I do however have to challenge your statement about ILS installations in Class G airspace by quoting the FAA definition of Class E & G:

CLASS E Airspace

The fifth airspace to discuss is Class E Airspace which is generally that airspace that is not Class A, B, C, or D. Class E airspace extends upward from either the surface or a designated altitude to the overlying or adjacent controlled airspace. If an aircraft is flying on a Federal airway below 18,000 feet, it is in Class E airspace. Class E airspace is also the airspace used by aircraft transiting to and from the terminal or en route environment normally beginning at 14,500 feet to 18,000 feet. Class E airspace ensures IFR aircraft remain in controlled airspace when approaching aircraft without Class D airspace or when flying on "Victor airways" -- federal airways that are below 18,000 feet. NOTE: VFR aircraft can fly up to 17,500 feet IF they can maintain VFR weather clearance criteria (and the aircraft is equipped to fly at 17,500 feet).

CLASS G Airspace

Class G Airspace is uncontrolled airspace. IFR aircraft will not operate in Class G airspace*. VFR aircraft can operate in Class G airspace.

Please note the Class G comment about IFR in G! The American philosophy is to protect IFR aircraft making IFR approaches in IMC down to the minima. If the airport has an ILS then the Class E goes to the ground. The practise is that in IMC a VFR aircraft would have to request a special VFR clearance into or out of the Class E zone. This would not be granted if an IFR aircraft was departing or making an approach.

As for the cost, I agree with you, however you have to have a philosophy. Correction, you can get by in a philosophy-free environment if you are blessed with heaps of VMC and pragmatic ad-hocery. You are in a good position to see that in action!