PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CJ3 Fuel on arrival
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2007, 07:12
CE-Jockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I a sucker

Well my first post on PPRuNe. I started an account to find out more about Cathay and I have been finding loads of great info.

Anyhoo. If I can shed some light on the trip from Oz to SMO in a Cj3 for nocatering without offending here it goes.

I have a 525(s) type and have time in the Cj 1 2 and 3. Most of my operational experience is in the Cj2.

We like to land our Cj2 with about 600# a side as a general minimum. We are US west coast based and normally have clear and a million and we still like to have plenty for reserves.

I don't have enough time in the Cj3 to shed any light on minimum fuel but would assume it would be more than what we like to have in the Cj2. 900# an hour a side for takeoff power at sea level for the Cj3

I have run accross guys who have taken a Cj1 to NZ and OZ. It was via a much more conservative route. I think Alaska and Japan then south. I remember thinking what a cool route and was green with envy. I wished I could have gone.

I wouldn't attempt the trip your talking about in a Cj3. The aircraft does really well at 450. But if you have to decend for any reason your way worse off than up a creek without a paddle. I'm sure it can be done but there is no reason to risk it all just to prove it.