PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan to fly today
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2007, 07:02
Brain Potter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slim Shady,

I don't believe that TVOC actually went out to find pilots that would've been more suitable (using your criteria) than those that are currently involved. As I said, I know of at least 3 ex-Vulcan captains still in the RAF who are current on aircraft much larger than a 737, at least one of which is an experienced display pilot. None of then are involved, none were asked to be involved and I couldn't say if any of them wish to be involved.

As the jet will be operated on a permit-to-fly, there is no read across of any instrument flying currency, and so I remain to be convinced of any over-riding need for the pilot's to be current on a medium-sized aircraft. I won't go so far as to say that the day job of an ATPL holder is irrelevant to this operation but it so far removed from the VFR, low-level, hands-on environment that it is not a requirement. If you were proposing that the pilot must have experience in displaying a medium-sized aircraft then I could see more validity in you argument, but line flying is hardly comparable. In fact, DT was the Lancaster display pilot until quite recently - more suitable experience than flying to Ibiza on autopilot I suggest. Furthermore, at the CAAs stipulation, all the pilots recently had some time in an old fashioned heavy-jet simulator.

The thing that does occurs to me about the crewing is that they are all quite old. Maybe if this is still going after a couple of seasons they ought to trickle though one or two slightly younger chaps, so that the aeroplane doesn't have to be grounded when it's pilots are too old.