PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dannatt tells troops to prepare for death.
Old 19th Oct 2007, 06:09
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some may have heard of Frank Collins.

Frank was 22 SAS who was actively involved with Op Nimrod.

Frank found God, and after a period of juggling both balls in the air, left the army. I was lucky enough to hear a sermon by him somewhere sandyside. He had a block of wood in front of him, and asked for a volunteer to step forward. He asked the young Tom to place his hand, fingers splayed, on the block of wood before telling him that he would blindfold his eyes and swing down with a machette and using his skill, ensure that the blade fell between the lad's fingers. He asked if the lad was ok with that, and the start struc lad nodded gleefully. Who wouldn't? The chance to have a finger chopped off by this legend??!! Wow!! WHAT a tale to tell!

Frank looked him in the eye and said; 'Don't be a fool. The only person you need to have that much faith in son, is God' (in essence, he dressed it up in that way that padres do of course). There was quiet.. not an uncomfortable silence.. just an extended period when we all just stood there, and thought. The lad stepped back, and we all went away, unsure of what we had just heard and saw. I think back to that often, and I genuinely, apply it to many things. It doesn't always take precedence in what I do, but its there. I was honoured to do Arctic training with him, night skiing, snowholing and even was with him when one night, 20 of us decided to do the Lillihammer run (he did it in Bishop's Cassock and rig). He said faith would get him through, although I'm inclined to think it was a good slug beforehand. I don't particularly care what Dannatt said, but at least Collins had faith enough to put his money where his mouth was. Dannatt is paid to command the military, not save it's collective soul.

Frank Collins killed himself a few years back, by gassing himself in the garage of his Hereford home. Life seemed to have got too much for him.. he was a troubled man, but kind, funny, engaging and wise and I hope he's at peace. If you get a chance to read 'Baptism of Fire', his book, then do so. I imagine it'll be more insightful than Dannatt's speech (I don't mind Dannatt, for the record).