PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working and Living in Trinidad
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2007, 03:18
scottishterrier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living Costs

Roty,

There is some truth in what you say.

I defy you to find me any local who will pay $1500-2000 US/ month for rent. It is true that other costs will be similar.

locals same pay as expats !

When locals leave there families ,friends, home, country and bear the same restrictions, then they can bleat about same pay. .......

Now, I am all for fair pay, but that needs to be agreed for yourselves.

If the locals stood together then an agreement could probably be met with pressure on management. When some locals get one thing and some another, there is however a problem, very devisive. But everyone is making their own arrangements, so they have made a rod for their own back.

For example an Fo on ex-pat salary, Now y don't get that for being a great and consiencous staff member! or the time to study for exams etc.!!!!!!!!! or the senior captain on overseas pay with dubious work ethic and a disregard for aircraft and procedure, Allegedly!!!!!

There is however a motivation to maximise profit in Bristow TnT. And its not gonna find its way to good ol USA.......... Pay crews minimums, work to the maximum, skimp on maintenance and keep crews local WOW savings will be made ....
8-10 aircraft doing 1000hrs/year how much is the that ? will that make its way to the accountants in New Iberia, I think Not. So where could all this loot be going ? I wonder . ..................

As helicopter pilots, IT IS OUR TIME. There is a global shortage of experienced people, to such an extent, as to have been stated. " as restricting the growth of the Oil Industry ".
If locals want ex-pat salaries then let them try going out of their comfort zone and work in another country. They will be rewarded with new experiences, which will benefit themselves in character and maturity, get to work with people from other countries differing cultures and possibly, operations far beyond the possible scope of Bristow Trinidad.

So locals should, if they have the Balls, get off their asses and go see the world until then keep the whining to themselves

ST

Last edited by scottishterrier; 19th Oct 2007 at 13:12. Reason: update