PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA/bmi
Thread: BA/bmi
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2007, 23:56
Count von Altibar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's face it, the cards are in Sir Michael Bishop's hand. He holds the key to the future and will without a doubt have spoken with Willie Walsh about the future of bmi. BA didn't stand by and let bmi buy BMED without them sanctioning the sale, a deal was done which we're aware of now as it involved a it of 'horse trading' over LHR slots. My opinion is that we're up for sale soon and it's based on pretty much everything that I've seen and heard come from bmi to it's staff and the general press. It also happens to be the opinion of aviation analysts and the city boys. The airline is being 'talked up' with positive press releases and talk of new aircraft followed by not so public missives to the staff revealing huge backpeddling. The only new aircraft we're getting now are the already on order BMED ones.

bmi is approaching peak value. A large LHR slot portfolio, route licences to the BMEDistan countries that would have taken years to negotiate (secured in one fell swoop!) and importantly the beckoning open skies. Come the third runway these slots will devalue and so an exit from the stage by SMB seems likely in the not too distant future. Whoever the new owners are I sincerely hope that they look after the loyal staff during the transition.

Regards,

The Count