PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opportunities with an FAA License
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2007, 22:07
Scoobster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TelBoy,

I very much doubt the CAA are going to come up Trumps as it has been a while that I have been locked into a battle with them, almost 6 years now and I have only recently decided on getting a different aviation authority on board to have a review of my case.

I thought I could handle the thought of 'not flying' but I don't think I could ever handle that thought. Just the site of the 747 parked at Gate 13 up at LHR was enough to re-ignite the fire.

I have heard that Canada may offer a slightly more structured license in terms of quality of flight training and governance by Transport Canda. The likes of Pro IFR and Moncton seem to have excellent reputations.

The only downside with this is that on a Canadian License, there may not be as many Business/Corporate jobs available, which brings me back down to square one again of the only option being FAA.

I have been told by the CAA that even if I were to obtain an FAA Class 1 CPL they would not grant me a JAA Medical under the current regulations, which seems rather beauracratic! I think the situation with EASA will change very little, unless they have a sudden brainwave and decide to readress all the antiquated policies and procedures which are in place at the CAA.

I can only imagine things becoming more stringent in line with the likes of France and Spain, especially seeing as the UK is alledgedly meant to be one of the more lenient states (although I am yet to experience this leniency)

I think it is time to just bypass the CAA completely now and seek the Candian or FAA route. If I obtain a Canadian or FAA PPL, am I right in saying that I could count this towards JAA at a later date if by some miracle the CAA change their stance?

The other option I had thought about was RSA or Aus but again as it would be based on the corporate scence I should imagine that there may not be many planes registered on the RSA or AUS register in the UK.

With the N Register, the likes of Net Jets are look for extremely capable pilots with ludacrious hours so I can only imagine that it breaking into the corporate scene maybe at least as hard as the airlines!

The only down side to the FAA is that I have to give 3 months notice to the FSDO in NY prior to taking my Flight Test for a SODA Waiver, which means I would have to visit the U.S, take my lessons and then come back to the UK, put the 3 month notice in and then re-visit to take the test again, which will probably be a logistical nightmare not to mention the challenge of remembering how to fly or trying to stay current in those 3 months in the run up to the check ride!

This may be unlikely, but as there are providers in the U.S whom offer JAA training, is it not likely that there are also providers in the U.K whom offer FAA training or hire at least so i can practice in those 3 months if need be?

Sorry for the rant!

Cheers