PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VC10 Court Martial?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2001, 23:26
Capt Widebody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I know and have had the pleasure of going through flying training and working with the individual concerned. Without commenting on the facts of this case, which BEags rightly points out, would not really be appropriate, I would like to add my vote of support to him in this shambolic trial which is a bigger misuse of public funds than any imprest officer could ever hope to achieve.

I sincerely hope that if anything other than a full acquittal comes of this, that the MOD has in place an alternative system by which to administer pay and allowances whilst down-route, detached or deployed. This kind of pathetic witch-hunt should not be allowed to go on. Are the hierarchy really casting doubts on the integrity and trustworthyness of the same individuals responsible for the safe operation of millions of pounds of military hardware, and the safety of many lives? Well, I guess they are now.

The message to all who hold imprests is clear from this: don't worry about cancelling the sortie, letting the team down, missing your slot times or all the knock-on problems this may cause; just get the financial paperwork right. Remember the priorities: paperwork - accountability - flight safety - mission.

I am lucky to have had the supports of an extremely good, flexible and understanding accounts flight, so I choose the following words carefully: some of you bean counters out there have obviously no concept of the "Mission Bubble"? If you fall into this category, then I suggest you contact your SFSO (once you've found out who he is). He can show you the reports about people who have thrown aircraft away, or crashed and died due in part to external stressors such as the pressures of mixing extraneous paperwork with the often difficult flying task. If you still don't have any empathy for the operators, then get some help from the shrinks.

Rant Over.

Now then, for the two of you who sent out the unnoficial communication, it was widely received, thanks. I have left you both messages. You have my support and pledge for £25, should it be required. I really hope it doesn't come to this!